Thank you for your interest in the Intercollegiate Athletic Leadership program. We welcome applications from prospective students for summer quarter admission.
Our priority deadline for the upcoming 2020-2021 school year is Monday January 6, 2020. Applications submitted after the priority deadline will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the cohort is full. Applicants can expect to hear an admissions decision by March 20, 2020.
If you have any questions, please email us.
Pre-Requisites for the IAL Program
Applicants to the IAL M.Ed. programs should meet the following minimum requirements:
Have earned a bachelor's degree from an accredited institution by the time they enter the IAL program.
Have at least one year of experience within an athletics setting, as an athlete, coach, volunteer, or intern.
A demonstrated understanding of the intercollegiate athletics setting and issues and challenges present in the industry.
Our admissions timeline for the 2021* cohort is as follows:
Monday January 6, 2020 - Priority application deadline**
Late January 2020 - Initial Admissions Committee review
February & March 2020- Skype Interviews for selected candidates
March 20, 2020 - All candidates receive notification of admissions decision
*(2020-2021 school year)
**Priority Deadline Note: We will continue to accept applications on a space available basis throughout the spring until our cohort has been filled. We admit between 40-50 students each year. If you are interested in submitting an application after the priority deadline, please contact us (IALinfo@uw.edu) regarding space availability.
How to Apply to the IAL Program - Starting Your Application
To begin the application process, go to the UW Graduate School Online Application. You will submit all items from the application checklist electronically as part of the graduate school application. Graduate school application instructions are as follows:
When submitting the online graduate school application form, you will be asked to create an account.
- Once you have created an account, you will be asked to select the graduate program to which you are applying. You should select: "Education - Seattle (M.Ed. Educational Leadership & Policy Studies - Intercollegiate Athletic Leadership"
After completing the essential components of the graduate school application, be sure to pay your application fee ($85) and to print a copy of your graduate school application for your records.
- What are your career goals within athletics? And which department(s) are of interest to you?
- Why is the IAL program right for you?
- Why are you right for the IAL program? What can you uniquely contribute to an IAL cohort?
- How do you plan to leverage the IAL program to achieve your career goals?
- How have you prepared yourself for a career within intercollegiate athletics?