Current Research from the CLA
In addition to our professional development offerings, the Center is engaged in publishing and presenting original research and editorials:
- McDowell, J. & Hoffman, J.L. (2018). Women’s and gender issues and controversies in collegiate athletics. In G. Sailes (Ed.), Sports In Higher Education: Issues & Controversies, 2nd Edition. San Diego, CA: University Readers/Cognella.
- McCleery, J. & Hoffman, J.L. (2018). Identifying ambitious coaching core practices through a Delphi study. 6th International Conference on Qualitative Research in Sport & Exercise, Vancouver, British Columbia.
- Hoffman, J.L., Seelinger, G., & Berwick, R. (2018). Topics in Navigating International Student-Athletes, Invited Panelist, International Admissions Professional Activities Committee, AACRAO, Orlando FL.
- Lopez, S.L., McCleery, J., Olson, H. (2018). A shift in perspective: inspiring a new generation of female coaches. In M. Hanold (Ed.), Women in Sports: A Reference Handbook (pp. 118-122). Goleta, CA: ABC-Clio.
- Hoffman, J.L. (2017). Title IX’s gender-separate allowance in the context of college athlete rights and intercollegiate athletics reform. In E. Comeaux (Ed.), College Athletes’ Rights and Well-Being. Baltimore, MD: Johns Hopkins University Press.
- Blanford, S. & Hoffman, J.L. (2017). NCAA Division III minority female student-athlete experiences. American Educational Research Association, San Antonio, TX.
- Hoffman, J.L., McDowell, J., & Rafael, V. (2017). Fresno State: Gender discrimination and retaliation for Title IX advocacy in athletics. In S. Harper & J. Donnor, (Eds.), Scandals in College Sports: Legal, Ethical & Policy Case Studies (p. 216-224). New York: Routledge.
- Hoffman, J.L., Rooksby, J. & Hay, G. (October, 2016). Big-time sports and Big-time research: A comparison of commercialization across the academy. Challenge Award report prepared for the Knight Commission on Intercollegiate Athletics. Washington DC.
- Hoffman, J.L., Rankin, S. & Loya, K. (2016). Climate as a mediating influence on the Academic Success of Women Student-Athletes. Journal for the Study of Sports & Athletes in Education (10)3, p. 164-184.